As I was updating my goodreads account with everything I had been reading in 2018, this dawned on me. I had been entering the trade paper backs and comics I had been reading as “books” for the 2018 year. I figured if you can read something, it could count as a book. I absolutely adore goodreads because it keeps my online book shelf organized and I can follow my favorite book vloggers and see what they shelve. I’m not sure if there’s something that’s like good reads, but for comics. If there is a site that exists, I should create an account to keep my comics separate from my books. For now though I have been putting my comics under my books. Is this appropriate?
To answer this question, I decided to look up the definition for a book. Here are a couple that I found:
- A written or printed work consisting of pages glued or sewn together along one side and bound in covers.
- A work of fiction or nonfiction in an electronic format
- A set of written, printed, or blank pages fastened along one side and encased between protective covers.
- A printed or written literary work
It’s interesting how the definition of a “book” has been modified over the years. With the internet, eBooks have had to be written into the definition of a book since that didn’t exist 30-40 years ago. Looking at the above definitions, it seems like a comic would be a book. Technically it’s a printed work with images and they are put together, probably not sewn.
Let’s take a look at the definition of a comic then and see what the difference is:
- a magazine that presents a serialized story in the form of a comic strip, typically featuring the adventures of a superhero.
- A magazine containing sequences of comic strips
- of or relating to or marked by comedy (definition of a comic)
- of or relating to comic strips
The definition for a comic versus a book is slightly different. Notice how comics are described as magazines. You can still “read” a magazine so does that mean a comic is a book?
I personally have no problem listing my comics on goodreads. It helps me remember series I want to keep up with and since I have no idea if there’s a site specifically for comics, it helps to have everything in the same place. Should comics be classified as books?