Last weekend, I was one of many who paid for a movie ticket to see Suicide Squad. This was the summer movie that looked the coolest and the most fun to watch. I hoped that this would be the epic showdown DC needed to relaunch their movies. Unfortunately, Suicide Squad is far from perfect. I loved watching it in theaters, but I had some problems with the final outcome. That being said, I wanted to quickly recap what I loved and just despised about this movie.
Adored. . .
- Harley Quinn! I was initially taken back by her outfit, but I thought Margot Robbie was the perfect choice! She had Harley’s accent nailed down and her demeanor as well.
- The Suicide Squad soundtrack! I included some of the songs on my workout playlist and I can’t wait to lift to the soundtrack.
- Viola Davis was the perfect choice for Amanda Waller. The film does a good job of establishing her character and her brutality.
- The appearance of the Flash and Batman! I didn’t expect the Flash to apprehend Captain Boomerang, but I thought it was a nice addition to the movie to help prep for the launch of Justice League.
Problematic. . .
- Where was Katana in the movie? She barely talked and maybe had two fight sequences. Seriously Katana is such a cool character with a sword that captures souls. There should have been more of her.
- Killing Slipnot so early on was silly. Why introduce the character in the first place? They could have demonstrated the effectiveness of their bomb on a dummy or something.
- The movie felt like a Deadshot and Harley Quinn movie instead of a Suicide Squad movie. They introduced characters who didn’t have a presence in the movie, like Killer Croc and Katana *see above*
One of the biggest excuses I hear is “Oh the movie was two hours there was no way to introduce that many characters”. Why include that many in the first place then? Also let’s take a look at Guardians of the Galaxy. Guardians introduces characters I was unfamiliar with and one of the characters only speaks three words throughout the entire film. There is no excuse that Suicide Squad couldn’t have done the same thing. DC has a long way to go with their movies, but I’m still going to be in the front row of every film hoping that this one will be faithful to comics and the fans.