Last year, I wrote about my “Pop Culture New Year’s Resolutions” and I wanted to repeat that for 2023. I’m not a big New Year’s Resolutions person, to begin with, but I like the concept of making goals that are centered around my hobbies, interests, and fandoms. I’ll start by summarizing my resolutions from 2022 before ending with my new resolutions in 2023.
2022 New Year’s Resolutions
- Watch at least 3 different Anime Series (EOY) – I read two different mangas but didn’t end up watching much anime.
- Start Watching Mighty Nein, Critical Role’s second campaign – I’m so close to being done with Vox Machina but didn’t make it in time to begin Mighty Nein in 2022
- Attend an Out of State Convention I Have Never Been to Before – This one didn’t happen either. I go back and forth on this goal and I’ll explain in a little bit why that is.
- Play and Complete 4 Different PS4 or Console Games – Completed! I think I will carry this one into 2023.
- Play through Marvel’s Spider-Man on a Tougher Difficulty – I decided halfway through the year that I wanted to move this to 2023 since Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 is coming out this Fall.
I wanted to break down a few of these resolutions I had. The first resolution came from wanting to use my Funimation subscription. It takes me a long time to watch TV shows and I found it a lot easier to read manga than watch anime. I ended up canceling my Funimation subscription halfway through the year since I wasn’t utilizing it. In the future, I think I will stick to reading manga as I find that’s a lot more doable for me.
For Critical Role, I decided that I didn’t want to rush through Vox Machina because I wanted to fully enjoy it. I’m currently on episode #111, so I’m close to fully finishing the series (there are 115 episodes total). After I finish them all, I want to watch the Amazon Prime series The Legends of Vox Machina along with the one-shots associated. Once that’s completed then I will start watching Mighty Nein.
Regarding the “Attend an Out of State Convention” I mentioned how I go back and forth on this. While I think it would be fun to attend a convention in a state that I have never been to before, attending a convention would take up a full travel day. This could be a day that I could explore or hike and I’m not sure if attending a convention would be worth it to miss out on being a tourist in a new city. This might be a resolution I will put on hold for now and focus on attending local conventions instead.
As far as my video game resolutions, I do want to carry these over into 2023 as gaming is a hobby of mine that I don’t want to lose.
With all of that being said, here are my resolutions for 2023:
Start Watching Mighty Nein
Read 100 Books, Comics, Graphic Novels, etc.
Play 4 Different PS4 or Console Games
Play Through Marvel’s Spider-Man on a Tougher Difficulty
Rewatch Christopher Eccleston’s Doctor Who Series + Tennant’s Series by End of the Year
Happy New Year! If you have specific pop culture resolutions, I’d love to hear your resolutions in the comments.